On this day January 22, 1890
The Burnley Gazette was originally called the Burnley Free Press. Founded as a weekly newspaper on 3rd January 1863, it was 8 pages long and priced at 1d. Printed and published by James Nuttall at Chancery Street, Burnley, the name of the paper was changed to the Burnley Gazette from 6th February 1864.
The paper was published on Wednesdays and Saturdays in 1896 by Benjamin Moore who had risen from the post of journalist through to manager and eventually proprietor of the Gazette and a Justice of the Peace.
Liberal in political orientation, the Burnley Gazette later became the Burnley News, which then merged with the Burnley Express (originally a Conservative newspaper) in 1933 as the Burnley Express and News.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1863–64 The Burnley Free Press, and General Advertiser for East Lancashire
- 1864–1915 The Burnley Gazette
This newspaper is published by Johnston Press plc in Burnley, Lancashire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Feb 9, 2013. The latest issues were added in May 28, 2014.