On this day January 17, 1896
The Chelmsford Chronicle was founded in Chelmsford in 1764 as a 4-page weekly publication by William Sturpar. It changed hands several times during the first ten or fifteen years of its existence.
By 1794 the proprietors were Clacher, Meggy and Chalk, the paper was still 4 pages long and priced at 3d. William Clacher has been involved with the Chronicle since the 1770’s and died in 1813. In 1800 the Company started the Essex Herald. The joint association of the Meggy and Chalk families with the Chelmsford Chronicle, begun by William Meggy and Thomas Chalk, was to endure until 1868, when George Meggy died and the partnership between him and Arthur Chalk was dissolved.
George Meggy’s son, Frederick, took over the business partnered with journalist Malcolm Douglas. Douglas died and from 1885 Thomas Thompson entered the business. The Meggy-Thompson partnership continued into the 20th Century.
The Chelmsford Chronicle was increased to 8 pages in 1865 and the price was reduced to 2d in 1870, then 1d in 1881. It was renamed the Essex County Chronicle in 1884. Besides the Chronicle, the company still published the Essex Herald and also the Essex Newsman (started in 1870).
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1783–1884 The Chelmsford Chronicle
- 1884–1919 Essex County Chronicle
- 1920–50 Essex Chronicle
This newspaper is published by Local World Limited/Trinity Mirror in Chelmsford, Essex, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Feb 11, 2011. The latest issues were added in Feb 21, 2015.