On this day January 20, 1939
1854-1906, 1911-1912, 1914, 1917, 1920, 1923-1924, 1928, 1930, 1932-1933, 1935-1937, 1939-1945, 1950
Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald
The Derbyshire Times was founded on 7 January 1854 as a weekly publication comprising 4 pages. It was published every Saturday by printer and auctioneer Francis Augustus Hatton at Cavendish Street. Francis died in 1859 and his wife took over as printer and publisher. Son Wm H. G. Hatton was reporter & editor.
By February 1869, the Derbyshire Times Steam Printing Works was owned by Messrs Palmer and Edmunds. Master printer Edward Palmer was employing 24 people at the works by 1871, and Wilfred Edmunds and William Hatton were both reporters. Edmunds was the son of Flavell Edmunds long-time editor of the HerefordTimes.
The Times was produced twice a week from March 1869, published on a Wednesday (4 pages) and a Saturday. The Saturday issue was increased to 8 pages and cost 1d. It was a Conservative paper and circulated extensively across Derbyshire and also South Yorkshire, North Nottinghamshire and East Cheshire. It is reputed to be the first weekly newspaper in England to introduce linotype setting in 1893.
The Edmunds family continued their involvement with the Derbyshire Times through Wilfred Edmunds Ltd. In 1922, the company bought out its rival the Derbyshire Courier (established in 1828) and incorporated it into the Times. Wilfred Edmunds Ltd was bought by Johnston Press in 1978.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1854–1903 The Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald
- 1903–63 The Derbyshire Times, etc.
This newspaper is published by Johnston Press plc in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Mar 15, 2013. The latest issues were added in Feb 24, 2015.