On this day January 20, 1944
Dundee Evening Telegraph
The Evening Telegraph is a daily evening newspaper launched on 13 March 1877 in two editions, costing a halfpenny. Its first editor was William Fisher, and it became affectionately known as “the Tully”.
Proprietors of the paper were John Leng & Co, a company formed in 1852 by Dundee lawyers James Pattullo, William Neish and Hull-born journalist and editor John Leng, with Leng as managing partner. The company already owned the Dundee Advertiser, the People’s Journal and the People’s Friend.
In the tradition of the Advertiser, which John Leng edited from 1851 to 1901, the Evening Telegraph was liberal and reformist.
Leng's newspaper interests were taken over by the D. C. Thomson & Co. in 1905.
Delivering a mix of local and national news, including sports news, circulation figures for the Evening Telegraph reached a high point in the early 1950’s and at one time the paper was producing seven editions per day.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1877–1904 The Evening Telegraph
- 1905–50 The Evening Telegraph and Post
This newspaper is published by D.C.Thomson & Co. Ltd in Dundee, Angus, Scotland. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Sep 19, 2012. The latest issues were added in Jun 5, 2014.