On this day January 23, 1847
The Kendal Mercury was originally published in 1811 as the Westmorland Advertiser and Kendal Chronicle. It was a liberal paper promoting civil, religious commercial and political freedom. Proprietor in 1846 was printer and publisher George Lee, who was a Unitarian minister. Originally from Hull, George ran the paper with 7 or 8 employees, teaching his son Rawdon Briggs Lee the printer’s trade so that he could take over when his father died.
In 1880, Edward Gill, proprietor of the liberal Kendal Times, established in 1864, took over ownership of the Mercury. Rawdon Lee later left for London to become an editor at The Field. Gill renamed the paper the KendalMercury and Times. In 1913, it became the Westmorland Mercury and Times, and ceased publication in 1917.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1834–40 The Kendal Mercury and Westmorland Advertiser
- 1841–80 The Kendal Mercury and Northern Advertiser
- 1880–1913 Kendal (Mercury &) Times.
- 1913–17 Westmorland Mercury and Times.
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in Kendal, Cumbria, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in May 5, 2013. The latest issues were added in Nov 16, 2016.