On this day December 9, 1893
Jackson's Oxford Journal was founded by William Jackson, the Oxford University printer, in the early 18th century as a Saturday weekly. In 1795 the physician John Grosvenor became chief proprietor and editor. The first issue was published on 5 May 1753. Beneath the title of no. 1, page 1 was printed the apologia for the paper:
This paper will be more complete than any that has hitherto appeared in this Part of the Kingdom. For besides the Articles of News, foreign and domestic, in which we shall endeavour to surpass every other Paper, our situation will enable us to oblige our Readers with a particular Account of every Transaction relating to the present Opposition in Oxfordshire;....
Some fifty years afterwards, in the early nineteenth century, the newspaper, in common with others of this time, was more openly engaged in local politics, criticizing local government, and promoting local concerns. There was also commentary on national issues from a local perspective.
The paper was originally issued at a price of 2d. in 1753, rising to 5d. in 1856, and dropping to 3d. in 1882 (when its circulation was 8,000) and 1d. in 1898. The orientation of the newspaper was Conservative. It blended reporting of Oxford town and University events with summaries of events from further afield.
By 1880, the departments of the paper were: agricultural prospects, the week, university intelligence, city and council intelligence, Oxford town council, Oxford city police court, literary notices, petty sessions, general news, births/marriages/deaths, poetry, hunting appointments, markets, and country markets.
Some eighteen years later, in 1898, the coverage had widened to include: current agricultural topics, farming notes, gardening gossip, football gossip, news notes, a local review, Oxford county court, the woman's world, a regular, illustrated letter from London, district news public notices, cycling notes, cricket gossip, to correspondence, the ladies' letter, serial fiction, notes by an Oxford lady, and market news.
The amalgamation of the Oxford Journal with the Oxfordshire County News in 1898 afforded an opportunity for reflection:
In May, 1853, at the centenary of the Oxford Journal, the Editor expressed his desire to 'present a faithful mirror of the time, respecting the opinions of all, but at the same time cordially upholding all that we conceive to be dear to us as Englishmen, as lovers of order, and as faithful subjects.' The same desire animates us to-day, and we hope that our firm adhesion to our own political creed and Church principles, is consistent with, not merely tolerance, but respect for our opponents. We have never hesitated to express our own unbiased opinion on every public question upon its merits, and we shall continue to follow the same course.
The newspaper's name was changed to Oxford Journal Illustrated at the end of 1908 and it ceased publication in 1928.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1753–1895 Jackson's Oxford Journal
- 1899–1900 Jackson's Oxford Journal
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in Oxford, Oxfordshire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Apr 25, 2013. The latest issues were added in Jan 21, 2015.