The Essex Newsman was first published in Chelmsford in 1870 as a weekly, 4-page broadsheet costing a halfpenny. It was politically independent and in its own words “expressly designed for circulation amongst Artisans, Agricultural Labourers, Cottagers and Domestic Servants”. It contained “a good selection of General News, the Police and County Court Intelligence of Essex and a summary of the News of the County generally.....and hints on economical housekeeping, cottage gardening, bee and poultry keeping &c”.
The Newsman was founded by Frederick Meggy and Malcolm Douglas who already owned the ChelmsfordChronicle and the Essex Herald. The Meggy family’s association with newspapers stretched back to the late 18th century and Malcolm Douglas was a northern journalist. Douglas died and in 1885 Thomas Thompson bought into the company. It was an association which lasted into the 20th century.
The paper was known as the Essex Newsman until 1923 then following various name changes, became the Newsman Herald in 1968. It was discontinued in 1980.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1870–81 Essex Halfpenny Newsman
- 1881–1943 Essex Newsman
- 1943–49 Newsman-Herald
- 1949–50 Essex Newsman-Herald
This newspaper is published by Local World Limited in Chelmsford, Essex, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Nov 15, 2012 . The latest issues were added in Jun 3, 2013.