The Lincolnshire Echo was Lincolnshire’s first daily (evening) paper, founded in 1893 by letterpress printer William Cottam and journalist Samuel Burrows both of Liverpool. They found financial backing locally, and formed a limited company (The Lincolnshire Publishing Company) under the chairmanship of manufacturer and former Liberal MP for Lincoln, Joseph Ruston. Burrows was the manager and Cottam was the first editor.
The first issue was a four page broadsheet with mostly advertisements on the front page. It continued in that format for almost 100 years until 1991, when it converted to tabloid.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1893–1950 Lincolnshire Echo
This newspaper is published by Trinity Mirror in Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Feb 7, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Mar 21, 2018 19 hours ago.