In this month February 25, 1862
The Salopian Journal was viewed as “the acknowledged organ of the Conservative Party in Shropshire” (Mitchell’s Newspaper Press Directory 1886), being pro-landed interests and a strong supporter of the Established Church. It was politically opposed to the Shrewsbury Chronicle.
The Journal was founded by Joshua Eddowes (1724-1811), a printer and bookseller in Shrewsbury and his son, William, who died in 1833. The paper remained in the Eddowes family until the 1850’s and became known as Eddowes Shrewsbury Journal.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1794–1843 Salopian Journal
- 1861–62 Salopian Journal
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Jun 3, 2013. The latest issues were added in Jan 13, 2015.