Staffordshire Sentinel and Commercial & General Advertiser
The Sentinel began life as the Staffordshire Sentinel and Commercial and General Advertiser in 1854, published by Hugh Roberts as a Liberal weekly.
A daily edition was introduced alongside the weekly in 1873 owned by Thomas Potter and run by the radical William Moody from 1881. Potter stood as Liberal candidate for Stoke-on-Trent in 1874 but was unsuccessful.
By 1892 the Sentinel faced competition from T.W.Twyford’s Staffordshire Daily Post. Twyford, head of the famous pottery firm, was also a Liberal, but was opposed to Home Rule and had joined forces with the Unionists. Facing heavy losses by 1896 however, Twyford proposed a merger between the Staffordshire DailyPost and the Staffordshire Sentinel. The new StaffordshireSentinel would be a politically independent paper to appeal to all. Twyford became Chairman and William Moody was Managing Director.
In 1928 the paper was acquired by Associated Newspapers Ltd.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1854–81 The Staffordshire Sentinel and Commercial & General Advertiser
This newspaper is published by Local World Limited/Trinity Mirror in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Dec 20, 2012 . The latest issues were added in Aug 9, 2014.