On this day February 20, 1937
The Falkirk Herald first saw publication in 1845 as The Falkirk Herald and Stirlingshire Monthly Advertiser. It was established by Glasgow-based lawyer Alexander Hedderwick. In 1846, the Herald was published in Falkirk after being bought by Archibald Johnston, making it the first newspaper acquired by the Johnston family who went on to become major publishers Johnston Press. The Falkirk Herald became a weekly publication in 1851 as a broadsheet newspaper.
The Falkirk Herald had its finger on the pulse of important local affairs. It was a loud voice in the successful campaign to have Falkirk recognised as a municipal burgh, allowing for the creation of a local council. Fundraising has also been historically important to the newspaper, especially drives to help those affected by war whether they be refugees, soldiers, prisoners of war, or families of the aforementioned groups. One such appeal saw £63,000 raised in 1923 to aid victims of the Redding pit disaster, a sum that would be several million pounds today.
In 2011 The Falkirk Herald switched format from broadsheet to tabloid, and continues weekly publication today.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1845–50 The Falkirk Herald and Stirlingshire Advertiser
- 1851–69 The Falkirk Herald
- 1869–95 The Falkirk Herald and Linlithgow Journal
- 1895–1922 The Falkirk Herald and Midland Counties Journal
- 1914–55 The Falkirk Herald and Scottish Midlands journal
This newspaper is published by Johnston Press plc in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in May 16, 2013. The latest issues were added in May 19, 2016.