The Fife Herald began life as the Cupar Herald founded in Cupar in 1822 by Robert Tullis. Tullis was a local bookseller and printer and supplied material to the University of St. Andrews. The paper changed its name to the Fife Herald in 1823.
When Robert Tullis died in 1831 the Herald was run by his son George Smith Tullis whose more radical views were reflected in the paper. A 4-page publication, it adhered to strong liberal principles, supporting the causes of civil, religious and commercial freedom, while declaring itself independent: “We have pursued, as heretofore, the path of principle and independence, disdaining either to be a mere echo of any State party or to be tramelled by local cliques”.
It was not averse to denigrating the supporters of the Establishment. In the issue of 4 January 1844, the Herald exhorted reformers to work together to achieve their aims because they could not rely on Toryism to be defeated “by its own inherent rottenness” or “the embarrassments of its own former follies and misdeeds”. It also noted the “fatal wound” dealt to the Established Church in Scotland by the 1843 Disruption.
The Tullis family maintained its connection with the Fife Herald until 1879 when it was sold to its former editor, John Innes and his brother George. The Fife Herald and its bitter rival the Conservative Fifeshire Journal were amalgamated by J. & G. Innes Ltd to become the Fife Herald & Journal.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1824–81 The Fife Herald, Kinross, Strathearn and Clackmannan Advertiser
- 1862–93 The Fife Herald
- 1893–1955 The Fife Herald & Journal
This newspaper is published by Johnston Press plc in Cupar, Fife, Scotland. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Mar 15, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Oct 2, 2015.