The County of Middlesex Chronicle was founded by George Thomason in 1859 as a broadsheet with adverts on the front page and local, national and foreign news inside. The initial print run comprising 500 copies sold out quickly.
When George Thomason died in 1899, control of the paper passed to his widow Elizabeth. Most of her children already worked in the business – three were journalists (including daughter Florence) and one was a linotype operator. On their mother’s death in 1910, the seven children formed a limited company to run the paper. It was family owned until 1972. The paper was renamed the Hounslow Chronicle in 1995.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1860–63 The Middlesex Chronicle
- 1864–1945 The County of Middlesex Chronicle
This newspaper is published by Trinity Mirror in London, London, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Nov 1, 2012 . The latest issues were added in Mar 1, 2015.