Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury
The Newcastle Guardian was founded on 21 Feb 1846, continuing on from Tyne Mercury 1802-1846. The TyneMercury was first published by John Mitchell of Dean Street, a native of Ayr then carried on by his three sons, (with William Andrew Mitchell as editor) after his death in 1819. The Mitchells were an influential Newcastle publishing family. However their influence began to wane by the 1840’s and in June 1843, ownership of the Tyne Mercury transferred to William Fordyce. In 1846 the paper was incorporated into the Newcastle Guardian.
The Newcastle Guardian was of Liberal persuasion, and advocating the severance of the connection between Church and State, became a paper for the Dissenters. It also supported the cause of Free Trade and repeal of the Corn Laws.
It ceased publication on 10th August 1872.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1846–72 Newcastle Guardian, and Tyne Mercury
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Mar 9, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Jun 2, 2013.