West Middlesex Advertiser and Family Journal
The West Middlesex Advertiser and Family Journal first appeared on 1st November 1856. A weekly, it comprised 4 pages and was priced at 1d. In the first issue it declared itself to be “specially devoted to the interest of Chelsea, Brompton, Knightsbridge, Pimlico, Westminster &c”. These areas, although able to access the national papers, had none which concentrated on local matters.
The Advertiser would include “a condensed amount of local information”, a column devoted exclusively to heads of families entitled “The Mother’s Assistant in the Education of her Children”, scientific and literary columns, police and courts news, advertisements and “everything that is calculated to interest and improve the mind”. There would be “nothing scurrilous” and “no tirades of abuse”.
On a political note, it declared its support for the national party and its aim to campaign for political representation for Chelsea -”It is to remedy this deficiency that the West Middlesex Advertiser and Family Journal has been launched into the sea of busy politics”.
In 1897 the West Middlesex Advertiser was renamed the Chelsea Mail and Middlesex Advertiser. It reversed the name for three years from 1905 then became the Chelsea Mail and Middlesex Advertiser again until 1913 when it was discontinued.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1856–67 The West Middlesex Advertiser and Family Journal
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in London, London, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Mar 11, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Jun 3, 2013.