Commencing on 1 October 1869, this newspaper had a smaller format than some of its contemporaries. Appearing weekly on each Saturday (price 2d), it printed three columns per page, but had sixteen pages for each issue. Advertisements appeared on pages one and two; and normally on pages fourteen to sixteen. Regular space was apportioned to: weekly news; letters; reports of monthly meetings; poetry; markets; births; marriages; deaths; literary column; editorial.
In 1870, the publisher is cited as John Davies, 19, Bridge Street, Carnarvon. The intended audience for the newspaper was clear from the start. In Mitchell's Press Directory for that year, the paper stated in its advertisement: "Especial attention is devoted in its columns to the proceedings of the Calvinistic Methodists, who number upwards of 100,000 members." The commentary in Mitchell's reads: "... printed in the Welsh language. Advocates advanced Liberal principles, gives lengthy reports of every Welsh national movement, and is regarded as being the organ of the Calvinistic Methodists."
In 1872 Evan Jones (1836-1915) became editor of the newspaper. He continued as editor for four years, writing a weekly article for the paper as well. Jones also wrote leaders for another Welsh newspaper, Genedl Cymreig, for a number of years. He also established his own newspaper Yr Amseroedd, published at Carnarvon, 1882-5. The newspaper was purchased by the Calvinistic Methodist General Council in 1914, and continues to be published.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1869–1900 Y goleuad
This newspaper is published by National Library of Wales in Caernarvon, Gwynedd, Wales. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in May 4, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Aug 16, 2017.