On this day December 9, 1938
The Morpeth Herald was founded on 1 April 1854 by James Mackay, son of a local tailor. Initially a monthly publication, it became a weekly in 1858. It remained in the Mackay family until 1983, when the title was acquired by the Tweeddale Press Group. In 1992, it was sold to Northeast Press, a division of Johnston Press.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1854–55 The Morpeth Monthly Herald
- 1855–1955 The Morpeth Herald
This newspaper is published by Johnston Press plc in Morpeth, Northumberland, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Jan 10, 2013. The latest issues were added in Jul 25, 2014.