On this day December 9, 1843
West Kent Guardian
The West Kent Guardian was a weekly publication established in 1834 comprising 4 pages and costing 7d. It was staunchly Tory, representing landed and commercial interests and was a strong supporter of the Established Church. Its motto which appeared on the front page was “The Throne, the Altar and the Land we live in”. It railed against the Whigs and Radicals charging that they would be unable to contain the reforms which they had instigated and supported.
Charles Frederick Cliffe owned and published the West Kent Guardian in 1836. He went on to own the Tory Gloucester Chronicle.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1834–34 Greenwich, Woolwich, Deptford and West Kent Guardian
- 1834–35 Greenwich, Woolwich, Deptford, Gravesend, and West Kent Guardian
- 1835–35 Greenwich, Woolwich, Deptford, and West Kent Guardian, and Gravesend and Milton Express
- 1835–50 West Kent Guardian, and, Gravesend and Milton Express
- 1851–56 West Kent Guardian, Kentish Times and Advertiser
This newspaper is published by an unknown publisher in London, London, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Aug 21, 2012. The latest issues were added in Jun 3, 2013.